mario has done everything from playing dixieland with louis armstrong at the age of thirteen to performing in the los angeles philharmonic for fifteen seasons under conductors zubin mehta and carlo maria giulini.
He was principal trumpet for the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra for a decade, toured Europe with the Los Angeles Brass Quintet, and has performed with the New York Philharmonic, the San Francisco Symphony, Radio City Music Hall Orchestra, and even the Barnum & Bailey Circus.
In addition to his solo albums on the Crystal and Nonesuch labels, one of which was nominated for the Prix de Rome, Mario has played on hundreds of television and motion picture soundtracks, and was a featured soloist for movies like Lonesome Dove and Godfather III.
Mario has taught trumpet for more than twenty-five years, including master classes in Asia and Europe, and is currently an instructor at the San Francisco Conservatory. He performs and records regularly with his jazz quartet in the San Francisco area, and has established a worldwide reputation as a creative musician of the highest level.
in 1986, he developed the buzz extension and resistance piece (b.e.r.p.) for all brass instruments.
The berp turned out to be a dynamic advancement in brass pedagogy. Since then, Mario’s lectured extensively on the berp concept at music conventions across the country, including the Mid-West Band and Orchestra Clinic, Texas Music Educators Association, the International Trumpet Guild, and New York Brass Conference.
mario guarneri has been doing master classes about the berp since the itg convention in ann arbor michigan in 1987.In the U.S. he has presented his approach about efficient sound production on a brass instrument at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, Texas Bandmaster’s Convention, Texas Music Educator Association and numerous other state conventions. He has delivered his message to students and teachers in Japan, Spain, Belgium, Holland, Italy, France and Germany. The Berp is recognized all over the world as the one of the most efficient brass teaching tools ever created.
- hub van laar Hub Van Laar makes the instruments I play (Bb, C, and flugelhorn), and they are the best I’ve had the pleasure of using to perform music. visit site
- jay rizzetto Jay Rizzetto has put together a great website of interviews, trumpet music, product reviews, and valuable advice about the trumpet visit site
- dennis najoom Dennis Najoom former principal trumpet of the Milwaukee Symphony, makes wonderful mouthpieces and leadpipes that my students and I enjoy playing. He’s a friend, great player, and dedicated craftsman. visit site jay lichtman Jay Lichtman, my former student, is a terrific trumpet player who has created free brass sheet music “not to be resold, but to remain free for everyone.” visit site
- rob roy mcgregor Rob Roy McGregor took my place in the L.A. Philharmonic and has now retired to spend more time running his publishing company, Balquhidder Music. The extensive catalog includes a transcription we did together of the Robert Schuman Romances for Trumpet and Piano. visit site alan colin Alan Colin, a long-time friend and the owner of Charles Colin publications, has an incredible collection of trumpet etudes, solos, duets, trios, etc. visit site
- marvin stamm Marvin Stamm and I have been friends for many years and I think you’ll enjoy his music and thought-provoking editorials. visit site
the guarneri jazz quartetThe Guarneri Jazz Quartet has established a dedicated following for its innovative interpretations of jazz classics and originals. The group features some of the most creative musicians in the San Francisco Bay Area, and reflects their wide diversity and vast experience. Its members have performed and recorded with artists including Ahmad Jamal, Jimmy Smith, Bobby Hutcherson, Joe Henderson, Mose Allison, John Heard, George Duke, Donald Byrd, George Cables, Sun Ra, Pharoah Sanders, and Roger Kellaway.
tbdtbd is a new quartet featuring Mario Guarneri and Erik Jekabson on trumpet and flugelhorn, with Akira Tana on drums, and John Wiitala on bass.The quartet play their music in a linear way, creating implied harmonies and stretching traditional forms.
- Mario founded the nonprofit organization Jazz in the Neighborhood to bring talented Bay Area artists, developing players, and communities together for live music events. Jazz in the Neighborhood creates an environment where professionals can nurture the great American art form with dignity and respect. Our programs provide jazz education, support local venues, and enable dedicated professionals to pass a vital legacy on to the next generation.
Berp and Company is proud of its commitment to putting part of its profits back into the music community. Jazz in the Neighborhood, founded by Mario Guarneri, is the recipient of this money. JitN supports a guaranteed living wage for jazz artists in the San Francisco Bay Area along with inspiring young and old alike to discover the joy of improvisation. “We are putting the music back into the neighborhoods”, says Mario, “where the art form has evolved and been appreciated for decades.”